Is Your Child at High Risk ?


A “yes” to any of these questions means that your child is at high risk.

Does your child…

  • Live in or stay at a house built before 1978 with peeling, chipping or chalking paint?
  • Live in or stay at a house built before 1978 that has recently been remodeled?
  • Have a habit of eating dirt, paint chips, or other non-food items?
  • Live with an adult whose job or hobby exposes them to lead? (Furniture refinishing, electronics, soldering, automotive repair, making stained glass, making fishing weights and lures, reloading shotgun shells and bullets, participating in indoor firing ranges, doing home repairs and remodeling and making pottery)
  • Have a brother/sister with high blood lead levels?
  • Have iron deficiency, anemia, sickle cell disease, a developmental delay, or behavioral problems?

Lead is dangerous and can cause serious permanent damage at levels much lower than was thought just a few years ago. Small children are more at risk of being lead poisoned because they often put non-food items in their mouths. The only way to protect your child is to prevent exposure to lead.

Lead can affect the ability of your child to learn. Lead can cause a delay in speech and can result in learning disabilities or behavioral problems. It also may damage a pregnant woman and her unborn child.

A lead poisoned child usually does not look sick! The only way to know if your child is sick is to do a blood lead test. It is very important to test toddlers. Your doctor or health department can do a blood test.

Licence and Certification

Lead Professionals:  Individuals performing lead activities in Kansas

The following activities when performed in pre-1978 housing and child-occupied facilities, are considered lead activities, and are regulated in the State of Kansas.

Lead Abatement
Lead Inspections
Risk Assessments
Lead Abatement Project Design

Any individual that performs any of these activities must be certified through the Kansas Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program.  Any firm, organization or governmental body that presents itself as being able to perform any of these activities, must be licensed as a lead activity firm.

Applications for Licensure and Certification

Lead Activity Firms and Providers

  • Activity Firms
  • Training Providers

Contact Lead Professionals

Requirements for Lead Professionals

  • Inspector Requirements
  • Project Designer Requirements
  • Risk Assessor Requirements
  • Supervisor Requirements
  • Worker Requirements

Medical Surveillance

Copies of the State-Wide Case Management Policy and Procedure are available by calling:  (866)-UNLEADEDKS or (866)-865-3233.

  • Case Management Manual
  • County Information Matrix – Oct. 2003
  • Foods that can help protect your child from lead poisoning.
  • Laboratory Reporting Requirements K.A.R. 28-1-18
    The public hearing date for KAR 28-1-18 was November 1, 2002 at 10:00 a.m. in the Curtis State Office Building, 1000 SW Jackson, Santa Fe Trail Conf Room, STE 200, Topeka KS 66612.
  • What your child’s blood results mean